Starting a few days ago, Windows 8 users seem to be getting a notice that their Copy2Contact Extension for Google Chrome has crashed. We’re not sure what’s causing this and why it’s only Windows 8 users, but it may be related to the fact that NPAPI (a technology that the Copy2Contact extension relies upon) will soon no longer be supported by Google Chrome.
We’ve been able to reproduce the problem on our Windows 8 machines here but have not been able to sort out why it’s happening. Bummer.
Fortunately, we’ve been working on a replacement extension that will work with Chrome after NPAPI is gone and there’s no time like the present to try it out. It seems to be immune to the crash issue so we’re releasing it to users having the crash problem for testing.
Here’s how to install the replacement test extension:
- First, download the new Copy2Contact Chrome extension. Right click the following link and save it to your desktop:
- Now go to your desktop and double click the C2C_1.3.0 zip file that you saved to open it.
- Drag the C2C 1.3.0 folder from the zip file to your desktop.
- Now open Chrome and click “Menu > More tools > Extensions” to open the extensions list.
- Click the trash can icon next to the Copy2Contact for Salesforce.com Extension and confirm removal
- Now click the “Developer mode” checkbox in the upper right to enable developer mode
- Now click the “Load unpacked extension…” button at the top of the screen
- In the “Browse For Folder” window, find the “C2C 1.3.0″ folder on your desktop and click it and then click OK.
- You should now see the Copy2Contact for Salesforce.com Extension 1.3.0 installed in your Extensions page in Chrome.
You’ll also need to install the Chrome Helper application:
- Download the new Chrome Helper application by right clicking the following link and saving to your desktop:
- Close all open Chrome windows before proceeding with the next step.
- Go to your desktop and double click the c2c_chrome_helper_v1.0.0_installer file.
- At this point you may get a message saying “Windows protected your PC”.
- Accept all the installation prompts to install the Chrome Helper app.
- Now open Chrome again. You may get a message saying “Disable developer mode extensions”.
You should now be able to capture to Salesforce.com with Copy2Contact! Try the following contact info:
Jim West West End Realty 1278 W. 34th St. Suite 3 New York, NY 12123 (917) 545-5414 (ofc) (917) 230-1244 (cell) firstname.lastname@example.org www.were.com